Dryer, Dryer, Pants on Fire

Updated: Mar 9

by Charlie Wicks


The aftermath of the fire, with clothes strewn everywhere (Image via the Purchase Fire Department)

With heavy smoke filling the Outback laundry room, firefighters tread carefully as residents evacuated the building.


Students in Outback awoke to fire alarms early March 1 after a clothes dryer went up in flames. The Outback residents were evacuated, just before Purchase police and the campus fire department arrived on the scene.


According to the Purchase Fire Department, officers quickly extinguished the fire and secured the gas supply to the dryer. The adjoining areas were checked for any fire extension and ventilation was provided to alleviate the heavy smoke condition.


The sudden alarm quickly annoyed Christopher Wygonik, a music major and resident of Outback.


“All of the residents were standing out close to the building, then when it was discovered there was a fire we were told to move quite far away,” he said. “Firetrucks kept rolling in along with police cars. Most of the residents were in groups, and many actually left due to how long the situation was taking to go on a walk or get food.”

The victim of the incident, whose clothes were burnt, declined to be interviewed.


The actual cause of the fire isn’t known. Dayton Tucker, Chief of Purchase police, sent out an email to students a few hours following the fire:

Fire trucks on scene at Outback (Purchase Fire Department)

“Please note that this morning there was a dryer fire in the Outback residence hall. Fortunately, no one was hurt, there was no other damage beyond the dryer, and the Purchase Fire Department came quickly to our aid,” according to the email.


Dryer fires aren’t a common occurrence here at Purchase. The most common fires on campus have been cooking-related, according to Purchase College annual fire reports. Seven of the nine fires from 2017-2019 have been in residential kitchens.


Students who are now worried due to the incident should review their residence halls, detailed evacuation plans in case of a fire, along with fire prevention tips available on the Purchase website.


The most common dryer fires are caused by a failure to clean leftover lint and clothing particles, according to the U.S Fire Administration.


“I do believe the school did enough to warn students. In addition to being told at meetings, there are signs posted in the laundry room everywhere to empty lint trays,” Wygonik said.


Should students encounter smoke or fire on campus, they should immediately call UPD at the emergency number: (914) 251-6911

51 views
Contact
Editor-in-chief: Ingrid Kildiss
ingrid.kildis@purchase.edu
Digital Managing Editor: Diana Gilday
diana.gilday@purchase.edu
Reporting Intern: Leah Dwyer
leah.dwyer@purchase.edu 
Faculty Advisor: Donna Cornachio
donna.cornachio@purchase.edu
 
General Contact
purchasecollegephoenix@gmail.com

PSGA Bylaws (August 2018), Student Bill of Rights, Section B. Freedom of Speech, Press and Inquiry


Neither the student government nor any faculty or administrative person or board shall make a rule or regulation or take any action which abridges students’ freedom of speech, press or inquiry, as guaranteed Constitutional rights as citizens of the United States. Students of the campus are guaranteed:

  1.  the right to examine and discuss all questions of interest to them, and to express opinion privately and publicly;

  2. the right to learn in the spirit of free inquiry;

  3. the right to be informed of the purposes of all research in which they are expected or encouraged to participate either as subject or researcher;

  4. the right to freedom from censorship in campus newspapers and other media 

© 2023 by Digital Marketing. Proudly created with Wix.com